This section will cover backup set creation, run mail-level backup, and restore individual mailbox items of Exchange Server 2016 DAG scenario for CloudBacko Pro running on each of the Exchange 2016 Server nodes in the DAG.
1. Click the Backup Sets icon on the main interface of CloudBacko Pro.
2. Create a new backup set by clicking the “+” icon next to Add new backup set.
3. Select the Backup set type as MS Exchange Mail Level Backup. The system will automatically detect and select the Exchange Server version, make sure the version selected is correct.
4. In the Backup Source menu, select the mailboxes or public folders for backup. You can click to expand the mailbox or public folder to select which mail folder to back up. You can also click Show mails to select individual mail to back up. Click Next to proceed when you are done.
5. In the Schedule menu, you can configure a backup schedule for backup job to run automatically at your specified time interval. By default the Run scheduled backup for this backup set option is disabled. Enable it then click the “+” icon next to Add new schedule. Click Next to proceed when you are done setting.
6. In the Destination menu, select a backup destination where the backup mail will be stored. Click the “+” icon next to Add new storage destination / destination pool.
7. Select the destination storage, then click OK to proceed.
8. Click Next on the Destination menu page to proceed.
9. In the Encryption window, the default Encrypt Backup Data option is enabled with an encryption key preset by the system which provides the most secure protection.
10. You can choose from one of the following three Encryption Type options:
11. If you have enabled the Encryption Key feature in the previous step, the following pop-up window shows, no matter which encryption type you have selected.
The pop-up window has the following three options to choose from:
12. Enter the Windows login credentials for user authentication. Click Next to proceed.
The Windows User Authentication interface will show only if scheduled backup is enabled and set successfully.
13. The following screen shows when the new backup set is created successfully.
14. Do not click the Backup now button, as you need to create backup set on each of the CloudBacko Pro installed on other DAG member machines with the following steps:
i. Click the Close button instead and go back to the main menu. Now we need to export the settings on this first node, and then import to the second node, export the settings on the second node and import to the third node, etc. until the last node in the cluster. Lastly, export the settings on the last node and import to the first node to complete the process.
ii. Choose to export the setting file to any volume in the cluster storage which is visible to all nodes.
iii. Now go to the second node and launch CloudBacko Pro. Go to Utitlities > Ex/Import Settings, and click Import Now button.
iv. Select the settings.sys file from the location you saved it in the first node. In the Settings screen, check all the checkboxes.
v. You should see Successfully import selected settings after successful import.
vi. If you have a third node, export the settings from the second node and perform step v to vii on the third node.
vii. Perform v to viii until reaching the last node. Then, export the settings from the last node and then go to the first node and import the settings to the first node.
viii. On each node, go into Backup Sets, select the Exchange DAG backup set, and in the Owner filed, you should see all nodes there.
15. Backup will run automatically on all the DAG nodes at the configured scheduled backup time.
As mentioned in the Requirement section, if you choose to back up an Exchange DAG setup by installing CloudBacko Pro on each DAG member, only a scheduled backup that is performed on all DAG members at the scheduled time, will be considered a complete backup. CloudBacko Pro on all DAG members will start a backup, based on the scheduled time of the backup set at the same time.
A manual backup performed only on individual DAG member will not be considered complete.
Please refer to the Scheduled Backup for Exchange Server in Data Availability Group (DAG) Option for details.
Below are the steps of the restore process.
1. In the CloudBacko Pro main interface, click the Restore icon.
2. Select the backup set that you would like to restore mail from.
3. Select the backup destination that contains the mail(s) that you would like to restore.
4. Click to expand the menu tree to select which mailbox to restore. You can also select mail item(s) from a specific backup job or all mail items that you have backed up to restore. Click Next to proceed.
5. Select to restore the mail to their Original location, Alternate location or to an Alternate host.
Please refer to the Limitation part to check for limitation of the restore process.
6. Select the temporary directory for storing temporary files, such as delta files when they are being merged, click Restore to start the restoration.
7. The following screen with the text Restore Completed Successfully shows when the restoration is completed.